Thursday, June 19, 2008

Twilight Obsession

I never saw the allure of them. I never understood the reason my sister Kimberly made my parents take her to Wal-Mart at nearly midnight to go buy the second book. I never understood why my friend Janae came over every week to pick up the next book after she'd finished the first and then the second, too excited to wait to read them with her friend who started the series with her. I never understood the reasons for the constant, hushed whisperings about the characters and plot that I was never allowed to hear because people didn't want to spoil it for me. I never understood why I would come home late from hanging out with friends to find Kimberly still up reading with no intention of going to bed soon. I never understood how Desirae (who never reads!) would stay up all night to read the books too. I never understood why all my friends just had to see the movie trailer every time they came over. I never understood why they picked apart every scene and every actor. I never understood how everyone spoke of Bella and Edward as if they were close, personal friends.

To say I understand now would be an understatement.

After most of my friends and half my family had already read the Twilight book series by Stephenie Meyer I felt compelled to read them. Okay, it was more like forced to read them, by Kimberly and Desirae. Boy am I glad I did! I really had no idea what I was missing out on! Now I am exactly like I described them to be and worse! We all enable each other actually. We always talk about the books. What our favorite parts are. How we feel about each character. What their clothes and jewelry are like. Who we wish we could be. Who we wish our boyfriends could be. What we think is going to happen in the upcoming fourth book. What the movie will be like. Our conversations are inexhaustible.

And I've never felt so emotionally attached to any other book I've read. I seriously feel every emotion that each character has. I laugh out loud, smile hugely, giggle like a little girl, get angry, frustrated, scared, bawl like crazy, fall in love, get my hopes up and my heart broken. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Twilight is astoundingly refreshing. New Moon is good but I hated it. I cried through the whole book and still cry when I think of it. Eclipse is breathtaking. Breaking Dawn comes out August 2nd and I'm sure it will not disappoint. If you haven't read the books I greatly recommend them. Come borrow them from me. I now own a copy of all three, as does my mom and sister. I'm also reading Stephenie Meyer's newest novel, The Host. I'm a third into the book and I love it. Stephenie Meyer is a fabulous author and I can't wait to read anything and everything she will ever put out!

5 comments:

Mike D said...

Hey nice blog.. mikedahle.blogspot.com

Amy and Richard said...

Hey, Christina,
I'm reading The Host right now too- not as far along as you. (And read her other books.) Good times.

Love you, Ames

Unknown said...

Glad you got bit by the bug. Love those books. Movie is out in December!

Amy said...

My favorite one was Twilight- I don't know why. New Moon was my least favorite as well. I'm so torn between Edward and Jacob! Excited to see the results of Breaking Dawn.

Jennifer said...

Kyle may be your favorite cousin but who is your favorite aunt? I would love to read something besides Dr. Seuss but I don't have the time. Maybe in another 5 or so years I can borrow them from you. Find a photo school in Columbia South Carolina so you can come with us next year! We love you! Jenn and the fam